Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring Kids



Nearly every day, I walk up to this little goat farm about 2 miles from my house.  It has been very active lately with the arrival of many adorable, jubilant, funny little goat kids.  A couple days after this photo was taken, I came to say hello and heard a terrible bleeting from the far end of the field and saw one of these little guys (can't tell which one) with his head stuck in the American wire fence and its mother nervously pacing nearby.  I ran up the bank and along the fence line and as I approached the frightened baby, it struggled even more vehemently.  I was terrified it was going to break its neck right in front of me, before I could try to help it.  I grabbed its little leg through the fence and spoke to it and it calmed a bit.  It was apparent that there was no way it was going to get its head back through the fence without assistance because every time it pulled back, it's little horns got caught on the wire like hooks.  I grabbed its head with both hands, turned it, pushed down and back on the horns, and wriggled it through the wire square.  The baby ran off, twisting and jumping, with its very relieved mother at its side.  Once my heart stopped beating so hard and fast, I was very relieved, too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment